Saturday, February 27, 2010

Hair Musings

Ever since i decided to get sisterlocks, i have been braiding my hair because i want to get use to the way natural hair would look on me. I like it ALOT. I even think i look younger (well, not that i looked old before). Maybe i'm seeing things or maybe it's the first i'm seeing the REAL me in a long time (without straightened hair). Or it could be the mentally free me, looking at the real me. Before, if i braid my hair i would take them out before i leave the house, these days it's me and my braids every where. And i don't care what anybody thinks.

Where did i get the idea that i wouldn't looked "presentable" with my hair braided? I am extremely disappointed in me thinking like this. What's important now is that i am mindful not to pass this self deprecating attitude about my hair on to little black girls in my family, just as my mother unconsciously did.

My 2 yr son looked at me with my braids the other day and said: "mommy hair beautiful" my heart melted. Note, he never said that about my straighten hair. When i had a twa...my 6yr nephew, who's white, (long story) found the time to stop playing with his GI joes and said "i like your hair"...this was after i took out a weave i was wearing. Those were the best compliments, because they were pure and free of societal influences...they just commented on what they saw, no b.s.

until next time!
one love

No comments:

Post a Comment